Today we celebrate World Book Day, the pleasure of reading is something we celebrate here at The Bewdley School. With so many students regularly reading millions of words a month as part of our Accelerated Reading program and for a minimum of 25 minute a day, it is no surprise we have been awarded ‘Master School’ status due to our continued commitment to students reading. It is fantastic to see that reading continues beyond the classroom, with so many of our students reading in their social time or taking part in our sponsored ‘Readathon’.

Reading doesn’t just take place in lower school, throughout this week we have been celebrating our A Level English students, who have been selecting books that they are passionate about. To celebrate World Book Day 2019 students today have chosen their ‘go to’ book, ‘the most inspirational read of their younger self’ and ‘the book I love the most.’

My “go to” book…

The Great Gatsby is my “go to” novel as I am very fond of the 1920s era of glamour and opulence. ‘Men and girls came and went like moths among the whisperings and the champagne and the stars.’

The most inspirational read of my much younger self

I read this book just before I started high school and I was gripped! It triggered my love for reading which has been with me ever since. This book is the reason why I am taking English for an A level. The plot is about a mother and her son who are from Afghanistan. They are refugee’s travelling to England and meet the dog (Shadow) who helps them through their difficult journey.

The book I love the most is…

Little Women, Louisa May Alcott. Alcott’s novel holds a special place in my heart. The Bildungsroman offers a quaint representation of sisterly relationships and female perspective in the midst of Civil War. Coupled with the fact that the front cover is beautiful and it was recommended to me by a family friend who I love very dearly, Alcott’s novel is comparable to a Sunday morning in bed with the perfect cup of tea.