As you will be aware, we have been working towards year 10 and year 12 having face to face sessions from 1 June, with individual schedules sent out last week. This was based on the following advice:
Year groups in first phase of wider opening
Paragraph 3, second sentence:
From 1 June 2020, we expect that secondary schools and colleges will be able to offer some face to face contact with year 10 and year 12 pupils.
However, the Prime Minister announced on Sunday evening that secondary settings will return on 15 June, which has been followed up with this advice:
Any plans that secondary schools have made for pupils to return earlier in June should be amended to commence from 15 June.
We will therefore not be asking year 10 and 12 students back to school for face to face teaching on 1 June. This will now happen on 15 June.
Please ignore all individual schedules sent out last week. We will send out new schedules during next week, week commencing 1 June.
As such, we will only be open for Key Workers’ and vulnerable children from Monday 1 to Friday 12 June.
I am sure that students will be curious as to how this will work:
- We had a cycle which lasted 35 days with 7 Fridays off, so 28 days in school – 4 days for each of 3 core subjects and 4 option blocks
- We now have 25 days so will use 24 of these – 4 days for each of 3 core subject & 3 days for each 4 option block
- We will achieve this by not attempting to offer subjects where staff are not able to come in for a variety of reason
- This means that there will be some year 10 sessions every day from 15 June, except the last day of term
- We were inviting in 2 different subjects per day in Year 12 to have a 14 day cycle, twice over
- We will now have 3 subjects per day for a 10 day cycle, twice over, with still no sessions on Fridays
Our apologies for this last minute change of plans, but as I’m sure you will appreciate, this is out of our hands.
Have a restful half-term and enjoy the sunshine.